Rocca al Mare district is situated at the western edge of Tallinn city. The district got its name (meaning in Italian ‘Rock by the Sea’) from a summer manor that was established in 1863 by local baron Arthur Girard de Soucanton.
The manor is now the site of the Estonian Open Air Museum. Open Air Museum represents a forested park where traditional Estonian village life has been recreated. The museum consists of 74 buildings from the past two centuries and includes farms, a village school, mills, net sheds, a chapel, a fire house and several other interesting buildings. Museum workers are dressed up in medieval costumes and reproduce the lifestyle of previous centuries.
Tallinn Zoo and FK Keskus that offers such activities as karting and paintball, are also situated in Rocca al Mare. There are several good restaurants in the district, for example, Kolu Kõrts tavern in the Estonian Open Air Museum, Lucca, Rucola and Meistri Lyon which is well-known for its pastries. In addition, Rocca al Mare shopping centre offers a wide range of shops to wonder around.